Thursday Oct. 17 tour to Santa Fe with opportunity to see Embudo Station, Chimayo, Espanola, and wonderful scenery. Thursday evening in Santa Fe.
Note on Embudo Station: Embudo was founded in 1881 when the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad opened a station (depot) there on its Chili Line. The station was named after the village San Antonio de Embudo, located 2 miles up the Embudo River, and until 1902 both communities shared a post office and were known jointly as Embudo. In 1900, anticipating a separate post office in the village, San Antonio de Embudo changed its name to Dixon. When the Dixon post office opened in 1902, however, Embudo lost its post office. Embudo got a post office again in 1905 only to lose it in 1909. However, since 1914 Embudo has had its own post office, zip code 87531.
Today, from the state road a concrete bridge, replacing the old wooden bridge, crosses the Rio Grande to the "Embudo Historic District" which consists of the old railway station and associated buildings. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) gauging station at Embudo, to measure the flow of the Rio Grande, was the first (USGS) stream gauging station and was established by John Wesley Powell in 1888. Embudo was also the first USGS training center for hydrographers.
Note on the historic Church at Chimayo: In the early 19th Century, nineteen families lived in what was then called El Potrero de Chimayó (potrero means pasture). The land where the Santuario now stands belonged to Don Bernardo Abeyta, one of the first members of Los Hermanos de la Fraternidad Piadosa de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno (the Penitentes) in the area. Also, he was probably devoted to the Christ of Esquipulas, a pilgrimage site in Guatemala where the clay is ascribed healing power. A nephew of Don Bernardo was christened Juan de Esquipulas in 1805.
Bernardo Abeyta built a small chapel to the Christ of Esquipulas on the present site around 1810. On November 15, 1813, he wrote to Father Sebastián Álvarez, the parish priest of Santa Cruz de la Cañada, asking him to write to the Episcopal See of Durangofor permission to build a bigger church in which the people of El Potrero could worship Jesus as he appeared at Esquipulas and could hear Mass. The next day, Fr. Álvarez wrote the letter, mentioning that cures were reported and many pilgrims were arriving. On February 8, 1814, Francisco Fernández Valentín, Vicar General of the Diocese of Durango, wrote back with permission. By 1816 the chapel was replaced by the present church.
Abeyta's daughter, Carmen Abeyta de Chaves, inherited the property and kept it despite an attempt to force her to give it to the Church; a major source of her income was donations from pilgrims. Her daughter, María de los Ángeles Chaves, inherited it in turn and was the owner as of 1915. In 1929, when the owners were in financial trouble, members of the newly formed Spanish Colonial Arts Society bought the property and donated it to the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
El Santuario de Chimayó was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Tumbleweed Tour 2013 Santa Fe Visit on 10/17/13
As part of our tour of Northern NM our group will have the opportunity to spend the evening in Santa Fe, NM one of the oldest and most charming cities in the US. There are numerous options for places to stay but we have made arrangements with two that offer different samples of the local culture. Both are 3-4 star establishments with secure free parking very near the heart of Santa Fe. Both offer special rates for our group. See below.
Old Santa Fe Inn
320 Galisteo St., Santa Fe, NM 87501
This is a small (43 units) and charming 40’s vintage motor court located only five blocks southwest of the historic downtown Santa Fe Plaza. The central location allows one to walk to the best of what Santa Fe has to offer, including more than seventy-five diverse and splendid restaurants, several museums, and scores of uncommon shops and galleries. Nearby are the famous Loretto Chapel with its miraculous staircase, the San Miguel Mission (the oldest church in the United States), and the Palace of the Governors, the oldest governmental building in the United States. The warmth and colorful history of Santa Fe is reflected in their guest room furnishings, which are hand-made by local craftsmen, and with fabrics and rugs patterned from the Museum of New Mexico's collection of local antique furniture and textiles. Beloved local artist Willard Clark's woodcuts decorate the walls and refer to a simpler time when noteworthy artists and writers were first enchanted with Santa Fe. More information on the Old Santa Fe Inn can be found on their web site, www.oldsantafeinn.com
They offer our group members a special rate of $135 plus tax for a traditional room with a queen bed on October 17th 2013 and for one additional night if desired. Other options include a rate of $145 plus tax for a traditional room with a king bed and $155 plus tax for a traditional room with two queen beds for the same dates. These special rates will be available until September 17 2013, and members will be able to cancel with seventy-two hours notice without penalty. After the 30-day cut-off, their standard room rates will apply. They do not charge for parking or internet access. A full hot breakfast is also included in the rates.
To reserve the special rates, club members should call the reservations department at 1-800-734-9910 and ask for the Early Ford V8 Club rate.
Hotel Santa Fe
The Hacienda & Spa
1501 Paseo de Peralta, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Direct (1 877 259 3409)/Fax (505) 955-7835
The second recommended lodging is the elegant Hotel Santa Fe. It is a large (170+ units), full service facility that includes an outdoor pool and hot tub, a fitness center & spa (Early Ford of America Group will receive a 15% discount at the spa), and a restaurant and bar. The restaurant specializes in Native American and New Mexican Cuisine and is open for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. The pueblo style hotel is partially owned by the Picuris Indians and is filled with over a million dollars worth of Native American artwork. The hotel is located just down the street from the Old Santa Fe Inn thus facilitating visits between guests of the two facilities. The hotel has a free shuttle that operates on demand and covers the downtown area for those that prefer not to walk. Their website below can provide a virtual tour.
The Hotel Santa Fe will be holding 15 rooms each nigh for October 17, 18, and 19th, 2013 for the Tumbleweed Early Ford of America Group at a discounted rate of $149 for their Picuris Junior Suites (one king and a convertible couch). Other options are available. Individuals will be responsible for their own reservations and room charges. The rooms will be held until September 17th, 2013 (cut off date), so you should make your reservations prior to that date for the group rate.